Dr. Nirupama Trehanpati
Month and Year
Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences
Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences
Senior Research Officer
G.B. Pant Hospital
M.Sc Zoology : 1988, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India
Ph.D : 1992, CCS, H.A.U, Hissar
B.Sc : 1986, M.L.N. College, yamunanagar, Haryana, India
Number of publications
- Visiting Scientist in the laboratory of Immune regulation, NIAID, NIH, USA 24th June -11th July, 2014
- Plenary Paper Award in AASLD 2013, USA
- Invited speaker in International conference on Stem cells and Cancer, Mumbai, 2013
- Paper Presentation in Viral Hepatitis Conference, Frankfurt 2013
- Presidential Paper Award at Prestigious Hepatology meet at AASLD 2012
- Visiting Scientist in the laboratory of Innate Immunology, NIAID National Institute of Health, Maryland, USA, January15th to Feb 18th, 2010.
- Visiting Scientist in the laboratory of Innate Immunology, NIAID National Institute of Health, Maryland, USA, for one month from 5st Nov to 5th Dec, 2008.
- Visiting Scientist to the laboratory of Immune regulation, NIAID, National Institute of Health, Maryland, USA, 1st Nov to 29th Nov, 2007.
- Travel Grant Award from Liver Care Foundation for attending APASL Japan, 2007.
- Invited visit to The University of Birmingham, Liver Research Group, Division of Medical Sciences, Birmhingam, from 15th April to 7th May, 2006.
- Bill and Millinda Travel Grant Award for The Ninth Annual Conference of Vaccine, Research, Baltimore USA. 11th May 2006.
- Travel Grant Award to present paper in the prestigious conference of HIV and Liver Diseases, Wyoming, 11th 14th Sep, 2006.
- Invited visit to German Research Center for biotechnology, Braunschweig, Germany for a month and half 1st sep to 10 Oct 2005.
- BestPoster Award in Indian society of Gastroenterology, Nov 2005
- Award of DST Young Scientist, 2003
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
- Award of CSIR Pool Officer 1998-2001
- Award of CSIR Research Associate 1994
- Award of CSIR, Senior research fellow during last two years of Ph.D
- Award of Lady Tata Memorial Fellowship in Ph.D
- Principal investigator for the project titled “To study the role of notch signaling pathway in the pathogenesis of virus related hepatocellular carcinoma. (DBT. 2010-2013).
- Principal investigator for the project titled “To study the host immune responses in clearance of Hepatitis E virus infection. (ICMR).
- Principal investigator for the project titled” Role of Bone marrow erived angiogenic cells in chronic liver diseases, Funded by ICMR.
- Principal investigator for the project titled “Isolation and characterization of EpCAM+ cell populations in Cirrhosis and Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) to target cancer stem cells.(DBT. 2013-2015).
- Principal investigator for the Indo- Australian project titled” The immunomodulatory and angiogenic role of bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells in chronic liver disease” (DBT. 2014-2017).
Research Grants: As Co- Investigator
Project 1: Indo-German Collaborative Project entitled “Use of microRNAs as novel biomarkers in progression of HBV-induced liver diseases and hepatocellular carcinoma. Funded by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, New Delhi, India. 2010-2013.
Role as Supervisor
Supervisor for Ph. D Student (Biomedical sciences, ILBS):
- Ritu Khosla: Identifying molecular signatures differentiating various cell populations present in Hepatocellular Carcinomafrom the normal stem cells.
- Ashish Vyas: Cross talk of Dendritic cells with TFh/ iNKt and maturation of B cells in vertical Hepatitis B Virus transmission.
Co-Supervisor for Ph. D Students:
- Shikha Shrivastav: To study the immune status of New borns to Hepatitis B positive and negative mothers.
- Avishek Singh: Micro RNAs and HBV infection: Role in viral Persistance and immune modulation.
- Arshi Khanam: To investigate the potential role of Th17 cells and neutrophils; Protective or pathogenic in Acute on Chronic Liver Failure
Co- Supervisor for DM (Hepatology) / MCH (HPB) surgery Thesis( 2010-2014)
- Dr. Shridhar: To study the efficacy of G-CSF therapy on the CD34 cell mobilization and outcome of patients with ACLF.
- Dr. Paranjal Deka: Lymph node micrometastasis in Biliary and pancreatic cancer: Significance of detection with real time reverse transcriptase PCR and immunohistochemistry.
- Dr. Murali A: Evaluation of endotoxemia in Liver transplant Recipients and its effect on early graft function
- Sharma S, Khosla R, David P, Rastogi A, Vyas A, Singh D, Bhardwaj A, Sahney A, Maiwall R, Sarin SK, Trehanpati N.CD4+CD25+CD127(low) Regulatory T Cells Play Predominant Anti-Tumor Suppressive Role in Hepatitis B Virus-Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Front Immunol. 2015 Feb 25;6:49. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2015.00049. eCollection 2015.
- Nirupma Trehanpati *, Arshi Khanam, Syed Hissar, Rashi Sehgal, Ritu Khosla , Paul David , Ashish kumar , Anupama Prashar , Ankit Bhardwaj, Shyam Kottilil and Shiv Kumar Sarin. Sequential Therapy with Tenofovir Plus Peg Interferon Enhances Innate and Adaptive Immunity Compared to Tenofovir Monotherapy in Chronic Hepatitis B Patients. J Clin Cell Immunol 2014, 5:6 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2155-9899.1000272.
- Kedarisetty CK, Anand L, Bhardwaj A, Bhadoria AS, Kumar G, Vyas AK, David P, Trehanpati N, Rastogi A, Bihari C, Maiwall R, Garg HK, Vashishtha C, Kumar M, Bhatia V, Sarin SK.Combination of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and erythropoietin improves outcomes of patients with decompensated cirrhosis. Gastroenterology. 2015 Jun;148(7):1362-1370.e7. doi: .1053/j.gastro.2015.02.054. Epub 2015 Mar 4.
- Maras JS, Maiwall R, Harsha HC, Das S, Hussain S, Kumar C, Bihari C, Rastogi A, Kumar M, Trehanpati N, Sharma S, Pandey A, Sarin SK. Dysregulated iron homeostasis is strongly associated with multi-organ failure and early mortality in acute-on-chronic liver failure. Hepatology. 2014 Dec 5. doi: 10.1002/hep.27636.
- Barrett L, Trehanpati N, Poonia S, Daigh L, Sarin SK, Masur H, Kottilil S. Hepatic compartmentalization of exhausted and regulatory cells in HIV/HCV-coinfected patients. J Viral Hepat. 2015 Mar;22(3):281-8. doi: 10.1111/jvh.12291. Epub 2014 Sep 1.
- Arshi Khanam, Nirupama Trehanpati, Vishal Garg, Chandan Kumar, Hitendra Garg, Barjesh C Sharma and Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2014. Altered Frequencies of Dendritic Cells and IFN-c-secreting T Cells with Granulocyte Colony-Stimulating Factor (G-CSF) Therapy in Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure. Liver International Volume 34, Issue 4, pages 505–513.
- Rastogi A, Maiwall R, Bihari C, Trehanpati N, Pamecha V, Sarin SK. 2014. Two-tier regenerative response in liver failure in humans. Virchows Arch. 2014 May;464(5):565-73. doi: 10.1007/s00428-014-1547-0. Epub 2014 Mar 4.
- Gupta AC, Trehanpati N, Sukriti S, Hissar S, Midha V, Sood A, Sarin SK. Interleukin-28b CC genotype predicts early treatment response and CT/TT genotypes predicts non-response in patients infected with HCV genotype 3. J Med Virol. 2014 Jan 10. doi: 10.1002/jmv.23876.
- Gayatri Ramakrishna, Archana Rastogi, Nirupama Trehanpati, Bijoya Sen, Ritu Khosla, and Shiv K. Sarin 2013. From Cirrhosis to hepatocellular carcinoma: Newer molecular insights on inflammation and cellular senescence. Liver Cancer 2013; 2:367–383.
- Sherman AC, Nirupma Trehanpati, Brust DG, Formentini E, Falloon J, Daucher M, Davey RT, Masur H, Sarin SK, Kottilil S. 2012. "Augmentation of HBV specific cellular immunity with IL-15 and PD-1/PD-L1 Blockade in HBV and HIV/HBV patients treated with Adefovir. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2013 Apr;29(4):665-72
- Nirupma Trehanpati, Syed Hissar, Shikha Shrivastav, Shiv K. Sarin. Immunological Mechanisms of Hepatitis B Virus Persistence in New Borns, Indian J Med Res. 2013 Nov;138(5):700-10.
- Shikha Shrivastava, Nirupama Trehanpati, Shyam Kottilil, Shiv Kumar Sarin. Decline in immature Transitional B cells following Hepatitis B Vaccination in HBV Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013 Jul;32(7):792-4
- Shikha Shrivastava, Nirupama Trehanpati, Sharda Patra, Shyam Kottilil, Chandana Pande, Shubha Sagar Trivedi, Shiv Kumar Sarin. Increased Regulatory Tcells and Impaired Functions of Circulating CD8 T Lymphocytes are associated With viral persistence in Hepatitis B virus positive newborns. Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 2013, 20, 582–591
- Nirupma Trehanpati, Shikha Shrivastav, Sukriti, Binayak Kumar, Sujoy Bose, Dinesh Mani Tripathi, Trinath Das, Puja Sakhuja , Archana Rastogi, Chagan Bhihari, Shivender Singh, Subhash Gupta, Shyam Kotillil , Shiv Kumar Sarin. Notch 1 helps differentiate immune cells in acute hepatitis B and with TGF-β regulates FoxP3 expression on liver infiltrating lymphocytes in HBV related Cirrhosis and HCC. Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology, 2012, 3, e23;doi:10.1038/ctg.2012.17
- Vishal Garg, Hitendra Garg, , Arshi Khan, Nirupama Trehanpati, Ashish Kumar,Barjesh Chander Sharma, Puja Sakhuja, Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2011. Granulocyte colony stimulating factor mobilizes CD34+ cells and improves survival of patients with Acute on chronic liver failure. Gastroenterology. 2011 Nov 22.
- Sarin SK, Kumar M, Shrivastava S, Sinha S, Pati NT. Influence of Chronic HBV Infection on Pregnancy: a Human Model Of Maternofetal Virus Host Interactions. Gastroenterology. 2011 Aug 22.
- Ashish Kumar, Nirupma Trehanpati, Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2011. "Use of Stem Cells for Liver diseases: Current Scenario. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology, Vol 1 (1), 17-26.
- Nirupma Trehanpati, Sukriti S, Robert Geffers, Syed Hissar, Peggy Riese, Tanja Toepfer, Jan Buer, David H Adams, Carlos A. Guzman, and Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2010. Gene Expression Profiles of T Cells from Hepatitis E Virus Infected Patients in Acute and Resolving Phase. J Clin Immunol. 2011 Jun;31(3):498-508. Epub 2011 Feb 3.
- Nirupma Trehanpati, Shyam Kotillil, Syed Hissar, Shikha Shrivastava, Arshi Khanam, Siddartha K Mishra, Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2011. Circulating Tregs correlate with viral load reduction in Chronic HBV treated patients with Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate.J Clin Immunol. 2011 Jun;31(3):509-20. Epub 2011 Feb 9.
- Thakur V, Nirupma Trehanpati, Guptan R C, Sarin S K. 2010. Efficacy of Shanvac-B recombinant DNA hepatitis B vaccine in health care workers of Northern India. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int, 2010 Aug; 9(4):393-7.
- Sukriti, Nirupma Trehanpati, Sujoy Bose , Syed S Hissar, Shiv Kumar Sarin. Antigen processing and presentation machinery is associated with immunotolerant state in chronic hepatitis b virus infection. Journal of Clinical Immunology, 2010 May;30(3):419-25. Epub 2010 Mar 19.
- Nirupma Trehanpati, Robert Geffers, Sukriti, , Peggy Riese, Manoj Kumar Tanja Toepfer, Jan Buer, Carlos A. Guzman, Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2009. Gene expression signatures of peripheral CD4+T cells clearly discriminate patients with acute and chronic HBV viral infection. Hepatology. 2009 Mar;49(3):781-90.
- K. Manohar, P V Suneetha, Sukriti, Nirupama Trehanpati, Abhishak C Gupta, Syed Hissar, Puja Sakhuja, S K Sarin. 2009. Association of IL-18 promoter polymorphism with liver disease severity in HCV infected Patients. Hepatology International, 3: 371-377.
- Sukriti, Nirupma Trehanpati, Ankur Sethi , Kireet Agrawal, Kamal Agrawal, G.T. Kumar, Manoj Kumar, A.T Kaanan, Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2008. Low levels of awareness, vaccine coverage and need for booster among health care workers in tertiary care hospitals in India. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 23(11):1710-5.
- Nirupma TrehanPati, Sukriti, Syed Hissar, Kamal Agrawal, Rajni Rani, Shiv Kumar Sarin. 2006. Decrease in CD4+ T Lymphocyte proliferation responses and enhanced CD150 cell expression in health care workers non-responsive to HBV vaccine. Vaccine. 2007 Feb 26; 25(10):1848-55. Epub 2006 Nov 10.
- Pati N, Sarin S K. 2007. Hepatitis B Infection and its management by immunotherapy. Annual review book of Ranbaxy.
- Maitra S, Sahu R, Trehan Nirupma, Garg SK, Nath P. 2007. Circannual variation in plasma vitellogenin and gonadotropin II levels in relation to annual ovarian cycle in female Cirrhinus mrigala. Aquaculture 265; 370-384.
- Meghen B, Jeffrey E W, Nirupm Trehanpati, Soumitra Ghosh, Robert L. Truitt and Bryon D. Jhonson. 2004. The T cell activation marker CD150 can be used to identify alloantigen-activated CD4+25+regulatory T cells. Cellular Immunology, vol 227(2); 129-139.
- Nirupma Pati, Valerie Schowinsky, Obrad Kokanovic, Victoria Magnuson and Soumitra Ghosh. 2004. A Comparison between SNaPshot, Pyrosequencing, and Biplex Invader SNP Genotyping Methods: Accuracy, Cost, and Throughput Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods. Vol 60(1): 1-12.
- Sarita Negi, Singh SK, Nirupma Pati, Handa V, Chauhan R, Pati U. 2004. A proximal tissue-specific and a distal negative regulatory module control apo(a)gene transcription. Biochemical Journal. 1; 379(Pt 1):151-9.
- Nirupma Pati, Soumitra Ghosh, Martin J. Hessner, Huoy-Jii Khoo and Xujing Wang. 2003. Difference in Gene Expression Profiles Between Human CD4+CD25+ and CD4+CD25- T cells. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1005, 279-284
- Xujing Wang, Marty Hessner, Nirupma Pati, Sun-wei Guo and Soumitra Ghosh. 2003. Quantitative quality control in microarray experiments and the application in data filtering, normalization and false positive rate prediction. Bioinformatics, 19(11): 1341-1347.
- Vikas Handa, Mehboob-ul-Hussain, Nirupma Pati, Uttam Pati. 2002. Multiple liver specific factors bind to a 64-bp element and activate Apo(a) gene. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communication 292: 243-249.
- Nirupma Trehan and Garg SK. 2001. Seasonal reproductive activity in the ovaries of the cirrhinus mrigala. J.Aquaculture 9; 29-43.
- Uttam Pati and Nirupma Pati. 2000. Lipoprotein (a), atherosclerosis and apolipoprotein (a) gene polymorphism. A review article: Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 71, 87-92.
- Nirupma Pati, Abdul Rouf, and Uttam pati. 1999. Simultaneous mutations (A-G and C-T) in the apo(a) promoter of individuals with low Lp(a) levels. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 69: 165-167.
- Nirupma Pati and Uttam Pati. 1998. Paraoxonase gene polymorphism and Coronary artery disease in Indian subjects. Int. J. Cardiology 66:165-168.
- Nirupma Trehan and Ramesh Bameazi. 1995. Induction of high SCEs in normal cells by 11-12 kd plasma protein over expressed in some sleep deprived volunteers. Mutation Research 136: 191-196.
- Chabra RL, Nirupma Trehan, and Garg, S.K. 1993. Studies on oocyte development, growth and differentiation in Rana Tigrina (daud) during different phase of annual reproductive cycle. Annals. Biol. 9(1): 131-135.